Ready to apply your sunscreen?
- If you’re spending the day outdoors, apply your SPF while you are butt naked in the privacy of your bathroom (of course!)
- Lather up and reapply as needed to exposed areas.
- Adults need about 1 ounce per limb (1 shot glass) to achieve the SPF value attributed to the label.
- For the face, a nickel should do the trick.
- Physical SPF works immediately upon application but chemical SPF needs time to absorb before going into the sun (15-30 minutes).
- Reapply every 2 hours, after you have been in the water or periods of heavy sweating.
- Don’t forget your ears, back of the neck, scalp, tops of the hands and feet!
I know SPF made in a spray bottle is convenient but they do not provide a reliable application. I wouldn’t say no to using one in a pinch but I wouldn’t rely upon that form of application for a base coat or reapplication.
My favorite SPF for face and body
Suntegrity is a small company out of California that makes my go-to physical SPF for the face. During the week, I wear their medium-weight tinted moisturizing SPF 30, Impeccable Skin. Formulated without oils or silicones, this vitamin and peptide rich technology visibly reduces the signs of aging while non-nano zinc oxide provide’s Broad Spectrum SPF 30 and blue light protection. For time out doors, I switch to the un-tinted SPF 30 with primer. Suntegrity also offers Lip gloss with SPF25 that comes in a handful of vibrant colors for spring and summer. The products are essentially skincare, sunscreen and makeup all in one!
For the body, I have been using Beauty Counter’s Countersun SPF 30 for the last couple of years. Susan Salter, a friend and client of 20+ years, introduced me to their natural, reef safe and VERY EASY to apply SPF for the body. In fact, Rob, who is SO MUCH PICKIER about SPF for the body (natural products tend to be sticky and get caught in his leg and arm hair), requested refills because Countersun was much easier to apply. If you’ve been looking for a natural body SPF your man won’t complain about, check out Beauty Counter Countersun SPF 30
Layer a Vitamin C serum under your SPF!
- Layering a vitamin C serum under your face SPF during the sunnier months reduces the inflammatory load put upon your skin from increased UV in the atmosphere
- Your skin will benefit from additional support May-September
- Longer days mean more time outdoors and under duress from UV exposure
Vitamin C is a skin hero all year but especially during the summer:
- ADDITIONAL ANTIOXIDANT SUPPORT – Vitamin C repairs inflammation and free radical damage from sun exposure
- PREVENTS/REPAIRS BROWN SPOTS – Vitamin C encourages the melanocytes to relax. These cells are stimulated by UV exposure and produce brown spots.
- BUILDS COLLAGEN – Vitamin C is necessary for the synthesis of collagen. Too much sun zaps your skin’s reservoir of Vitamin C.
Hale and Hush makes an economical Vitamin C serum that is stable and effective. This is one of my most popular retail items.
As we emerge from a long winter, soak up the sunshine responsibly and always remember your SPF on cloudy days! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to send me an email: email@example.com
Check out my other Sun Series posts on Chemical Vs. Physical Sunscreen and What SPF you should use!
Leave a Reply